We just got Tephra...

Come on in, talk about whatever you'd like - Tephra-related.
Sunset Hero

We just got Tephra...

Postby Sunset Hero » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:27 am

The Gaming College club I'm apart of. We spent 7.5 hours reading the core book, and falling absolutely in love with it. We have a dedicated GM who runs a new system every month, but I took one look at the rules and staked my claim. I will be doing the 3 Guns and the Big Steal module, and hopefully followed up with a full-blown campaign if, it at all, plays like I think it will.

However, there's a problem with doing that: This one-shot will have to be online, with friends all over the united states, and there is no digital PDF of the book to use; neither available to purchase nor pirate-able on the internet. And before you start, I just spent the last hour buying all the digitally available books from the store. So the only option I'm left with is to take 200 pages worth of pictures with my camera, because I'm worried that scanning might hurt the book. I bring this up because if I had the option to, I would buy Tephra digitally. It would be the only easy way to play with them. I bring this up because I would like to know if the makers are planning on releasing the book digitally any time soon. Otherwise I get to spend a looooooot of time with this book and a camera.

On a different note, I do love the system so far. The mechanics seem very tight, and the races are bloody interesting. By far, the best Satyrs and Gnomes I've seen in any system. Ever. That said I don't know why, but I was expecting there to be an avian races. Maybe it's because I saw the fish-people, and got that thought stuck in my head. I don't know guys, am I the only one who, when given a fantasy steampunk RPG, a race like the Rito from Windwaker pops up? (More so than the reborn elves.) I also bring this up because I'm also wondering if they are going to be expanding the races past the awesome 6 we already have? Cause I'd love to take a crack at homebrewing a race like that.

Alright, those are my incohearent thoughts formulated after an entire day reading Tephra with friends. Thank you for your time.

Keitoussai

Re: We just got Tephra...

Postby Keitoussai » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:57 am

Indeed; the pdf version has been a thing for a long time. Even during the beta days. I had the same qualms as you (infact, I have that old... er... oldx3 forums ago).

There were plans for it. But it's not a top priority. It's always good to have a voice for it though. That's going off of what was said in the past. I'm not an official voice. (You could get everyone to buy a copy of the book cough cough... it'll help cracked monocle out... their not really rolling in money by any means)

And that's untrue! There is a pirate-able version! It was one of the beta books haha. Not sure if its seeded anymore :P

Glad you love the system! Me too! And a few buddies! If you're near Houston, I could help run games with you (I'm part of the Houston crew in previewing / running games). Although from the way you worded it, it doesn't seem that you might be around here?

"Avian Race" can be described with Farishtaas (The Nine Wings of Divinity). You might want to look into their history a bit more. All races were planning to be expanded (I believe?)... but as for NEW races? I'm not sure. There's a whole world to be expanded. So far the game focuses in the continent of Rilausia. Who's to say there isn't other continents with new flavors of races yeah?
And there is plenty of homebrews down there that you're welcome to experiment with :) Nothing wrong with making your own.

Feel free to post if you have any questions and I'm sure one of many people will be happy to answer ya :)
(PS. I roll online games as well :D the system works pretty well since its so simple)
"And so the adventurers gathered around per-chance in a diner. They could not help but to overhear a fellow patron regarding a legend that has come to pass... Of Jakob; the DragonRider"
Comicpalooza 2014; Final game of Tephra. Never forget.

Sunset Hero

Postby Sunset Hero » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10 pm

I'd love to buy this system for myself, but to buy it for 5 other people across the country? In hard cover format? That's rough man. I want to see Cracked Monocle succeed, but there's a point where it gets unreasonable. But you did point out this Tephra torrent out there. I checked, it does have seeders. I'll get back to you if it's any good, in a day or two. Thank you for that. Again, I will support these guys where I can. I might even convince some of the guys I play with online to pick up a copy. It's what happened with Pathfinder after all.

I live no where near Houston. Sorry. Thanks for the offer though.

When I say "Avian race", I mean a race that literally has wings and can fly. The Farishtaas are the best fliers in the world because of their attunement with the sky. Some of them even have wings to fly around on. I'm talking about an entire race, not a couple of lucky dudes who the PC will never get to be. I did read the lore. It's one of the many reasons why I love this book.

Thank you for the quick reply. If I do come up with anything, I'll make sure to post it in the appropriate topics. Otherwise you probably won't see me again here.

Keitoussai

Postby Keitoussai » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Eh didn't think you were buying it all. was saying individuals can get them. Of course I can't advocate downloading it for free since.. well it eats into potential profit. But as the front of the book reads... do them a solid and spread the love of the game eh.
"And so the adventurers gathered around per-chance in a diner. They could not help but to overhear a fellow patron regarding a legend that has come to pass... Of Jakob; the DragonRider"
Comicpalooza 2014; Final game of Tephra. Never forget.

Bigbywolfe

Postby Bigbywolfe » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:44 pm

The company steadfastly refuses to release the core book in PDF form. I've begged. I've pleaded. I've pointed out that they could send PDFs to all the people over seas that still don't have their Kickstarter rewards and that selling the PDFs could generate extra income. Their stated purpose for not selling a PDF?

"One of the goals we set down early in development was to produce a high quality product in all regards and as we got closer and closer to finishing up development on the Players Guide, we realized that if we were to release a digital version of the book, we wanted it to be far better than anything on the market. That is still a design dream we have, but we don't want to just make it a pdf, we want to produce a fully digital product that allows you take notes, roll dice, has an in app store to purchase supplements, and all sorts of other features."

Keep in mind that was posted two posts after this: "We have considered making an app, however, we currently do not have the resources to design/build an app to be high enough quality for our players or secure enough with our content. Hopefully down the road, as Tephra and Cracked Monocle continues to grow, we can work on something like this."

They won't release a PDF because they want to release an app that they can't possibly afford to make.

Daniel@CM

Postby Daniel@CM » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:24 pm

Cheers & Gears,
Daniel

Cracked Monocle's Executive Director

Return to “Tephra Public”