Graviton Spheres

Enter and behold the world of Tephra, ask us questions about the lore, discuss it, or make up your own.
Bigbywolfe

Graviton Spheres

Postby Bigbywolfe » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:38 pm

So, Graviton Spheres are ultra heavy until they are spun. Spinning at low speed negates gravity to the point where they are essentially weightless. Spinning them faster essentially produces an "anti-gravity" field which applies to everything within a certain distance. That's all covered in the "technology" section of Cracked Monocle's website.
Here's my question. How are they spun? Are they placed in some sort of powered gyroscope? Locked into a steam powered turbine? Put in a cage so someone can reach in and give it a spin every 5 minutes :) ? How do you all envision Graviton Sphere "engines" looking?

Lester Cornwallace

Re: Graviton Spheres

Postby Lester Cornwallace » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:31 am

Great question! o.o

They are spun up via pressure plates that press against the sphere and themselves rotate. The whole system acts more or less like a gyroscope, so the housing around is usually free to spin by one method or another.

I always picture graviton spheres as small, dark, metallic spheres.

Ghared Cornwall

Postby Ghared Cornwall » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:57 am

Lester is on the mark, I love the idea also that they are a kind of perpetual motion machine, which means once the start spinning they don't stop, the engines just control the rate of spin, thereby increasing the field around them.

Lester Cornwallace wrote:Great question! o.o

They are spun up via pressure plates that press against the sphere and themselves rotate. The whole system acts more or less like a gyroscope, so the housing around is usually free to spin by one method or another.

I always picture graviton spheres as small, dark, metallic spheres.
*** Well just don't stand there, shoot it again!! ***

Bigbywolfe

Postby Bigbywolfe » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:51 pm

Ghared Cornwall wrote:Lester is on the mark, I love the idea also that they are a kind of perpetual motion machine, which means once the start spinning they don't stop, the engines just control the rate of spin, thereby increasing the field around them.

Is that canon? If they essentially functioned as perpetual motion machines I would think they would be being used as a power source.

thom

Postby thom » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Bigbywolfe wrote:
Ghared Cornwall wrote:Lester is on the mark, I love the idea also that they are a kind of perpetual motion machine, which means once the start spinning they don't stop, the engines just control the rate of spin, thereby increasing the field around them.

Is that canon? If they essentially functioned as perpetual motion machines I would think they would be being used as a power source.

I think they need something to keep them spinning too utherwizz friction would slow them to a stop reterning them to their natural state Y-.-Y

Alex@CM

Postby Alex@CM » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:51 am

Graviton Spheres are normally spun by a small steam powered engine (although clockwork and other types of mechanism can be found). Sometimes they are attached to the same engine that powers the ships propellers or other propulsion devices, but many times a small secondary engine is used as well to make sure that if one stops working the graviton spehere does not stop spinning. Spinning up a graviton sphere requires a ton of work, but once spinning they do not require much effort to keep rotating.

Graviton Spheres that stop spinning are extremely dangerous as their mass will quickly cause an airship to crash.
Alex Whisenhunt
Cracked Monocle Marketing Director and Lore Developer

thom

Postby thom » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:04 pm

you know the more I think about the Graviton Spheres the more I think they act a lot like some experiments and theories about quick silver "mercury" in this world. are the spheres somehow solid mercury?

AlchemicalBacon

Postby AlchemicalBacon » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:59 pm

so, say a tiny graviton sphere was encased in a bullet or mortar and caused to spin by the rifling in the barrel... is this even possible in game. other than being insanely expensive and horribly impractical... the idea just seems kinda fun... and destructive

prolly over thinking things again

thom

Postby thom » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:01 pm

well wile it should make the bullet go farther the question is would the non-spin extradense effect kick in when it hits if so this could make a interesting sniper weapon or scaled up a artillery round. put a bigger one in attach a clockwork for targeting and youve made a tephra tactical nuke :twisted:

AlchemicalBacon

Postby AlchemicalBacon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:58 pm

I was thinking more about kinetic bombardment for large scale builds, build a series of small automatons or gadgets that are built only to fly as high as possible and then drop from near space. gives a new take on a gm's falling rocks

i was looking at the bullets to be fired from a super heavy gun and used to lock down a called shot location due to it being so heavy... possibly mixing the drill augment with them

also curious about their effect on melee weapons...

i should prolly continue that train of thought on the homebrew section tho

Return to “The World of Tephra”