Let's Talk About Tokens

Would you like narrating advice? Perhaps you want to hear about your fellow adventurer's tales?
ObligatoryTankGal

Let's Talk About Tokens

Postby ObligatoryTankGal » Tue May 19, 2015 12:02 pm

Hey community, my group prefers to play with maps and grids in our d20 campaigns, and I've been trying to make it work with Tephra. So, as a result, I've spent the past weekend scouring the internet yet again in a desperate attempt to find suitable images to use as tokens for the various PCs and NPCs in my campaign. And, as usual, it's gone, well... poorly. :(

So I got to wondering: How do other narrators handle tokens and/or minis for their campaigns?

I've been using half-orcs for elves, elves for farishtaa, halflings for gnomes, drow for ayodin, and photo editing/chopping the legs off all sorts of NPCs to represent satyrs. But none of these solutions seem particularly satisfying, and there's rarely ever enough steam involved. I've also noticed that the internet is apparently racist and it's rather difficult to find good tokens for Tehpra's various nationalities (the Paldorans in particular have been tricky). Does anyone have some advice? Sagely wisdom?
"Somehow, you just successfully mastered a beta resonator, blinded the enemy pilot, crashed his ship, saved the princess, saved your ally, and derailed my plot... Stories! Stories all around!"--Adventures in Narrating

thom

Re: Let's Talk About Tokens

Postby thom » Tue May 19, 2015 3:39 pm

cracked monocle has some of there art on facebook you mite be able to use the only other ting i can think of is to buy the core pdf and pull some of the art and use that

Machiya

Postby Machiya » Tue May 19, 2015 4:07 pm

thom

Postby thom » Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 pm

try typing tephra into google art and see what you get I found a lot you can use that way or just type steampunk and they have a lot that way to

ObligatoryTankGal

Postby ObligatoryTankGal » Tue May 19, 2015 8:09 pm

You know, the funny thing is the core rule book my group uses is actually a hard copy, not a pdf. I swear we're the only losers still using physical books these days. But that does make it a bit more difficult to 'borrow' pictures from it.

I've tried just straight searches for Tephra-related images, but unfortunately our community is still so small that there's not a whole lot of fan art out there to choose from. I'm not sure about the rpg tool. Their map maker has some nice utility, so I'm definitely willing to try this little token tool and see if it can help me out. My concern is that the selection is still likely to be pretty low in diversity. Tephra's races are just too unique! XP Good problem to have, I suppose.
"Somehow, you just successfully mastered a beta resonator, blinded the enemy pilot, crashed his ship, saved the princess, saved your ally, and derailed my plot... Stories! Stories all around!"--Adventures in Narrating

thom

Postby thom » Wed May 20, 2015 4:22 pm

your not the only ones still using physical books I prefer them (but then again I started with D&D red book, take about old school) you mite try a search for steampunk art on its own as well but it does look like you will just have to make do with what you can fined

Daniel@CM

Postby Daniel@CM » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:35 pm

Tokens.... tokens.... maybe we can make those....
Cheers & Gears,
Daniel

Cracked Monocle's Executive Director

Return to “Narrating & Adventures”